(All posts may contain affiliate links or sponsored content. Please see my disclosure policy)
photo credit: Brazilian Wood Depot
Whether you are thinking of adding a new deck to your backyard because of so many of staying home or needing help to take care of your existing deck, there are several things that you’ll want to do to make sure you are properly doing the job well ( and even save money in the process ). Below are a few ideas to help you maintain your deck not only for its longevity but also to help keep its beauty as well as ideas on how to save money in the process of building a deck.
- Cleaning Your Deck Once A Year – Depending on what type of hardwood you have, the longevity and the color will vary. There are so many incredible hardwood options to choose from and all are rooted in the same basic principles as far as how to clean them properly. Tight grained natural woods are usually boasted being a watertight wood or water-resistant, however, they do have a surface that will need to be looked at it for any mold or mildew growth. Without cleaning them properly or having proper maintenance, they will rot away. The naturally occurring tannins and oils present in the wood do need to be protected and preserved if you want it to look new year after year. Check to see what type of deck you have and what you need to use to properly clean it. Some use a pressure washer to help get rid of old dirt and grime from over the winter months and also help spruce up your deck in minutes rather then days.
- Deck Design: There are some deck materials are milled in lengths of 16, 12, or 8 feet. In the case of pressure treated wood, every cut not only wastes the wood but also can provide an opening for water to get in. This is essential when you are buying the wood in the milled length does save you money on wood but it can also shorten the time to build the deck as well.
- Find A Quality Deck Company To Assist: Contrary to your design, you want to make sure that you find a quality deck company to assist you to build it if this is not an area of expertise. If you live in the Atlanta area, there is a company you must look into called Brazilian Wood Depot. They offer a variety of hardwoods for you to choose from including their popular ones like Ipe, Cumaru, or Garapa decking. Garapa wood in particular or Brazilian Oak is a decking lumber with a lemon yellow color that becomes light brown or honey with age. This hardwood has a light ribbon-like natural design, appears water or wavelike similar to silk. Garapa is considered the highest quality, best natural wood decking material on the market right now. It’s also extremely popular with many benefits for those looking for issues including fire resistance, water-resistance, and bug resistant.
- Decorate With Existing Furniture: Once you have your deck the way you want it, another money-saving tip could be bringing out old furniture that you already have out to your deck. If you don’t have any furniture that you can use, try looking for any estate sales or check Facebook Marketplace to help find something that can also help your bank account too. See if neighbors are having garage sales or looking into getting rid of old furniture they don’t want anymore. There are plenty of DIY ideas to help you restore or make the furniture your own as well.
- Build During Off-Season: One way to help you save money building your deck is to build it during the offseason. With warmer weather during the spring and summer months, those are the busiest times for deck contractors. Everyone has been contemplating their deck over the winter and want to start building with the warm rays of the sun, which then results in a higher demand to hire. The price also goes up for both labor and materials. If you live in an area like the southern states, you can still build during late fall or winter which then leaves you no problem hiring a qualified contractor and perhaps give you a better deal with everything as well.
There are so many other great tips to help you save on building your dream backyard deck. Have a budget and make sure that you try and stick with it every step of the way. Do your best to hire a qualified, highly requested, and sought out professionals to help you when you need it, ask questions and help you build the proper deck.