(All posts may contain affiliate links or sponsored content. Please see my disclosure policy)
Do you have some extra bananas in the kitchen that are over-ripe? We all love to eat bananas, but here are some other ways to enjoy the delicious fruit!
- Ice Cream– cut up bananas into even sized pieces and place in an airtight container. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Place the pieces into a blender and blend away until you have ice cream! It will take some time so be patient! See my favorite recipe HERE.
- Body Scrub– mash a ripe banana with 3 tablespoons of sugar to create a natural scrub for your body! You can also add some essential oils if you prefer to give it a nice aroma. If you place on the face, I would keep it away from the eye area.
- First Aid– Did you know that the banana peel has anti inflammatory properties? This means that they are great for things like bug bites, scrapes and even sunburn. Just place the banana peel on the affected area, much like you would a cold compress. Cool, huh?
- Hair Mask– If you are like me, the summer can do a number on my hair. Did you know that you can use bananas as hair mask? To make a hair mask, you will need several very ripe bananas. (it will depend on the length of your hair) Mash the bananas up and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Massage the mixture through your hair and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Follow up with your favorite shampoo and conditioner.
- Teeth Whitener– Some people say that the magnesium and potassium in ripe banana peels can help to whiten teeth. I have never tried this, but you simply rub the inside of the peel on your teeth for several minutes. After about 10 minutes you will brush your teeth as normal.
- Natural Sleep Aid– Bananas are filled with potassium and magnesium. Since these are natural muscle relaxers, many people think that if you eat a banana an hour or so before bedtime that it can help you sleep better! Try it and let me know what you think!
- Oily Skin Mask– If you have oily skin, try mixing one ripe mashed banana with 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Place on your face and let stand for a few minutes before rinsing off. The acid in the lemon juice mixed with the should help with the oils in your skin.
- Splinter Remover– Who would have thought that a banana could help to remove a splinter? Tape a piece of banana over the area that has the splinter and leave on for several minutes. The enzymes in the banana peel will help to draw out the splinter.
- Bug Bite Relief– Massage a banana peel on bug bites to get instant relief from itching, pain and swelling.
- Shoe Polish– Forget expensive shoe polish! Take a banana peel and rub your shoe with the inside of the banana peel. Voila! You should only need to buff the shoes with a soft cloth. Bananas are full of natural oils which soak into your shoes much like a store bought shoe polish.
Do you have an amazing use for bananas that I did not mention? Be sure to leave me a comment in the reply section above! I would love to hear your thoughts as well!